Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a deceased relative or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your used hearing aids rather than throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the overall populace, about 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are over 50 years old
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of people over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is really troubling. Because health problems like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new research coming out all of the time. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in some situations even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very persuasive point. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by as much as 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have an enormous impact, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for a person in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into college and make a livable wage when they’re older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are numerous volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.