Realizing you are experiencing hearing loss can be frightening and overwhelming. What steps do you need to take? What will this mean for your life?
Here are a few tips to help you through the process.
1. Make an appointment with your primary care physician to rule out medical issues, such as ear infections. He can give you a list of hearing specialists in your area.
2. An audiologist will conduct a hearing test. Look for an office that is also a hearing aid provider. Being able to purchase hearing devices there will save you time and stress.
3. There are many different options to choose from if hearing aids are needed. Some are so small that they fit completely inside your ear and are invisible to the outside world. The specialist will explain the different devices to you and offer hearing aid advice.
4. Ask the specialist for tips on hearing accessories. There are many products available that will make it easier to live with hearing loss. Lotions are available to keep your ears from becoming dry or irritated. Wipes are sold that allow you to clean your hearing aid quickly and easily when you are away from home. You can also purchase special headsets for the television so you can hear your favorite program without it bothering others in the room.
5. Don’t do this alone. Hearing aid help is available. Contact your audiology office with questions or concerns. There may also be a support group for people with hearing loss in your area.
You don’t have to stop doing the activities you love just because you’ve suffered hearing loss. Hearing aids will help you preserve your quality of life by bringing back crisp, clear sound.
1807 Taft Highway, Suite 6 Signal Mountain, TN 37377 Phone: (423) 822-2361